Excerpt from Interview with Editor Walter Murch
I first heard Walter Murch's name 20 or so years ago, when I was about to enter film school with dreams of making my first feature, and a mutual friend urged me to enlist him to edit both sound and picture for me. That sounded like a bit of a stretch — in fact, I'd never heard of anyone doing both except on movies budgeted at 10 or 12 dollars — but months later, with the release of Francis Coppola's The Conversation ... -> Read the rest
Excerpt from Interview with Director Rob Nilsson
If Hollywood could be considered a factory where they insist on cranking out sardines, Bay Area director Rob Nilsson would be the guy serving up fillet of sole.
Nilsson has been directing out-of-the-mainstream and inside-the-lifestream features for 25 years, more often than not casting nonactors in major roles, and was the first American to win both the Camera d'Or at Cannes and the Grand Prize at Sundance. Perhaps more important, he is -> Read the rest
Excerpt from Buying Blind
Nobody in their right mind would plunk down real, hard cash for a used
computer or a so-called pre-owned car without first checking it out.
And the idea of buying a house sight unseen is completely off the charts
-- or so half a dozen people warned me.
Nevertheless, that's exactly what I did with the largest single purchase
of my life, a place more than 500 miles from where I nest in San
Francisco. -> Read the rest
Highlights of Mal's Journalistic Career
Mal Karman has published hundreds of news stories, features and high-profile interviews with personalities such as Francis Ford Coppola, Clint Eastwood, Bette Davis, Warren Beatty, Woody Allen, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Dreyfuss, Goldie Hawn, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster and Stephen Spielberg.
- 15 years freelance writing for America's top magazines and newspapers.
- 12 years experience at major daily newspapers writing and editing news, features, entertainment, business and sports.
- Edited Tom Steinstra's Pulitzer Prize-winning series on rafting the treacherous Owyhee River.
- Winner of three national journalism writing awards (sports, news, features)
- Creative consultant for Moving Image Magazine on editorial content and design.
- Creative consultant for Darkroom Photography on editorial content and design.
- Former contributing editor for the Pacific Sun.
- Former foreign correspondent (Scandinavia) for Newsday.